Things you should know about indoor air pollutants…
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air quality has a big impact on our health. We spend the majority of our time indoors but for most of us indoor air quality is not on our list as a health concern.
Most of the time we can’t see the offenders but science tells us that air pollutants are found in every home, school, and workplace. The sources for these pollutants are outdoor air, human viruses and bacteria, animal allergens, indoor surfaces where fungi and bacteria can grow, and some components of our heating and air conditioning systems.
Common symptoms associated with indoor air pollutants:
- Nasal and sinus congestion
- Cough/sore throat
- Chest tightness
- Dyspnea (difficulty breathing)
- Epistaxis (nose bleeds)
- Upper respiratory tract infections
Here in Georgia we have a very high relative humidity which is ideal for certain fungi and bacteria to grow and be released into our air. Mold is one of the pollutants that we can sometimes see. Mold occurs in indoor and outdoor environments. Mold can enter your home from the outside through doorways, windows, animals, shoes, and clothing. Mold can also be present inside your home through your heating and air conditioning system, bathrooms, basements, and any water damaged areas.
Mold exposure can be a scary experience. It is important to note that not all people exposed to mold experience health problems. However, some people are sensitive to molds. In 2004, the Institute of Medicine found sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms in otherwise healthy people. Other studies have suggested a link of early mold exposure to asthma in some children. If you see or smell mold there are potential health risks. No matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal.
Diseases and illnesses resulting from continuous human exposure to indoor toxic molds:
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis/pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary injury/hemosiderosis (bleeding)
- Hematologic and immunologic disorders
- Hepatic, endocrine and renal toxicities
- Pregnancy, gastrointestinal and cardiac problems
HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOUR FAMILY?
Fresh outside air is healthy to breathe, partly thanks to the natural UVC from the sun (UVC stands for Ultraviolet C, a sub-type of ultraviolet light). Numerous health studies have shown that UVC is very effective against mold, mildew, fungi, viruses, bacteria and spores by breaking down their DNA or RNA. UVC lights are low cost with easy installation and are effective at suppressing indoor air pollutants. UVC lights can also help to extend the lifespan of your heating and air conditioning equipment as well as reducing your electric bill.
An easy and affordable step you can take in reducing indoor pollutants is simply having a UVC system installed. A UVC system is installed in your current heating and air conditioning system and uses ultraviolet light to reduce the pollutants circulating in your indoor air.
To further cleanse your indoor air, along with UVC lights, you can install a more efficient filter as well. Filters are rated on a MERV scale. Most home filters are rated between 1 and 6. They can remove up to 90% of air pollutants between 3.0 – 10.0 pm particle size. The EPA states that filters with a MERV rating between 7 and 13 are likely to be nearly as effective as true HEPA filters. Our filters meet that rating and can remove up to 95% of air pollutants between 1.0 – 3.0 pm particle size.
We can install a UVC system and top-rated air filters in your HVAC system.
CALL US TODAY FOR AN APPOINTMENT.
LET US HELP YOU BREATHE EASIER.